Thursday 19 July 2012

Experiment Ends

Well. It's over. The experiment with the Peugeot I mean, but not necessarily this blog. It ended on a high however - not the roadside cloud of steam that you're expecting me to talk about!

 I decided to sell the Peugeot mainly because it was due for road tax. Thinking about it, was it really sensible to pay £120 for new tax on a car that was certain to fail its MOT in October? I decided not, as I'd totalled up the issues with the car and was looking about the amount I paid to keep it on the road.

There was one more issue: size. The car was too small for the things that I have planned for my kids this summer holidays. We're going camping, walking and staying away for a while. The Peugeot royally failed to hold all their stuff for the last camping weekend that we tried, so I wanted something bigger.

I put the car on eBay and got £260 for it. It had 129,980 miles on the clock, meaning that I'd done 2606 miles. Not bad for £90! This proves that you can get some low cost motoring if you are careful and buy a reasonable car that you don't mind running into the ground.

Now - on to the replacement: FreeLander

2 comments:

  1. Great blog really well written and interesting too! Sorry to see a lack of comments but maybe it will pick up more visitors in the future!

    I hope you continue updating with posts about the new Freelander as that's not a traditional banger so could usher in a new era of SUV-Bangerness (perhaps!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt,

    Glad you've enjoyed the blog! I do intend to continue the theme.
    Ironically, the FreeLander has been more of a nightmare than the 306 ever was... but then, if I will buy something made in Britain...!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete